Railway Company Items BLACK LOCOMOTIVES LNER locos painted black normally used the shaded yellow insignia on this sheet. Green painted classes using gilt insignia (mainly the principal passenger types) are listed in the instruction on Sheet 4. Almost all tank engines were black until after the war, when green was officially adopted for all engines (though the great majority were never repainted). From about March to September 1923, locos were lettered L&NER, sometimes with full stops, on the tender or tank sides in small (7???") letters with the number below in large (12") numbers. Locos painted from Oct. 1923 till the end of 1928 had 7???" letters LNER This style did not change for tank engines, but from early 1929 tender engines normally had large 12" letters with LNER on the tender sides and the number the same size on the cabside. Some small tenders, especially in Scotland had 7???" letters, while locos with small cabs used 9" or 7???" numbers. All LNER locos had the number to the right of the coupling hook on the front buffer beam, with N??? to the left. North Eastern area tank locos often had the number repeated on the back. From the end of 1941, all loco painting was in unlined black. From mid-1942, the lettering was shortened to NE. In this style, 12" letters were commonly used on tank engines instead of the otherwise universal 7???" GILL SANS STYLE INSIGNIA This style was introduced from the end of 1946 to replace both the yellow and gilt insignia formerly in use. Sizes and positions were as before, with smaller numbers for cabsides of restricted size. CLASS DESIGNATIONS & SHED NAMES These small white markings are for use both with this sheet and with Sheet 4 (gold insignia). North Eastern area locos continued the pre-group practice of painting the word CLASS below N??? on the left of the buffer beam with the class identity below the number on the right. Pre-group classifications were used until 1929 except for standard locos, though even some of these were marked, for example CLASS 4.6.2 (on A3 class). Standard class numbering was used exclusively from 1932. The practice was made universal through the company in early 1938. From April 1943, the system was changed. The Word CLASS was omitted, the number only (e.g. A-4) being on the left, with the shed name on the right.